For Prospective Students

Living Expenses, etc.

(1)Proxy Services for Screening Procedures

In order to study in Japan as an international student, it is necessary to first acquire a student visa. The procedure to do so can be performed by the student him- or herself, but Kinjo University and Kinjo College offer proxy services for these procedures. If you would like to request these services, they are available at a cost of ¥10,000 for Certificate for Eligibility of Resident Status Application Procedures, payable at time of entrance to Kinjo University or Kinjo College.

(2) Fees to Meet Incoming Students upon Airport Arrival

We meet incoming students to Kinjo University and Kinjo College upon their arrival at the airport.
The fees for this are as follows:

At Kansai International Airport:  ¥30,000
At Toyama Airport: ¥5,000 (or free when arriving on the date determined by Kinjo University)
At Komatsu Airport: Free

(3) Public Transit Commuting Pass Fees to/from the University or College (as of April 1, 2015))

Kanazawa Station to/from Kaga-Kasama Station: ¥6,010/month for student rail pass
Kanazawa city bus flat rate zone: ¥12,180/month for student bus pass
Kanazawa Station to/from Kinjo University: ¥18,240/month for student bus pass

(4) Apartments

Kinjo University and Kinjo College do not have foreign student dormitories, so our foreign students live in ordinary apartments. Apartment rent varies from about ¥25,000 to about ¥60,000 per month (not including electricity, gas, or water bills). When signing a rental contract for an apartment, you will need an amount equivalent to four to seven months’ rent for the following expenses, paid at signing:

Reikin (“key money”): 0–2 months’ rent (not refunded when moving out)
Deposit: 0–3 months’ rent (a portion may be refunded when moving out if there is no damage to the apartment)
Processing fees: 1 month’s rent
Rent pre-payment: 1 month’s rent (rent is paid in advance for each month)

Additionally, when renting an apartment in Japan, it is necessary to have a cosigner. If you meet the following requirements, then Kinjo University can serve as your cosigner:

  1. Your Lifestyle Guarantee Deposit has been paid.
  2. You have consulted with the university before signing an apartment contract, and you have enrolled in comprehensive renters’ insurance for foreign students studying in Japan.

(5) Health Management

(1)Periodic Check-ups
Every April, we hold comprehensive medical check-ups with medical professionals, including X-rays, urine tests, and height and weight measurements.
(2)National Health Insurance
Foreign students are required to enroll in Japanese national health insurance, identically to citizens of Japan. By enrolling in national health insurance, 70% of medical expenses are covered by the country of Japan, while the remaining 30% are covered by the patient. Insurance costs ¥19,980 per year (for Kanazawa City as of the last academic year), and foreign students can enroll in it in the town or city they live in once they receive their alien registration.
(3)Personal Accident Insurance for Students Pursuing Education and Research
Kinjo University participates in JEES’s personal accident insurance for students pursuing education and research, which provides compensation in the event of any unforeseen accidents or disasters that occur during course of classes or school functions. However, this insurance does not provide full coverage.
Comprehensive student insurance beyond the above listed is available. While enrollment in comprehensive student insurance is optional, it can provide compensation for accidents or other unforeseen circumstances that happen outside of school. Details will be available at the entrance ceremony.

(6) Textbook Prices

Estimated annual textbook costs are as follows:

KINJO UNIVERSITY Department of Social Work: ¥60,000
KINJO COLLEGE Department of Early Childhood Education: ¥60,000
Department of Art: ¥15,000 (plus separate costs for materials)
Department of Business Administration: ¥50,000

(7) Driving Motor Vehicles

In order to legally drive a car, motorcycle, scooter, or other motor vehicle in Japan, a Japanese driver’s license or an international driving permit is required. Additionally, there may be differences in driving conditions between Japan and your home country that will require special attention. In the event that you cause somebody’s death in a traffic accident, you will be held criminally liable, and even civil damages will still come to an incredibly large amount of money. If you wish to drive a motor vehicle, you will be required to enroll in property and casualty insurance, as well as to receive permission from Kinjo University or Kinjo College.

(8) Other

In Japan, you will need an inkan stamp to open a bank account, as well as in many other circumstances in everyday life. Additionally, immediately after arriving in Japan, you will need around ¥500,000 to pay apartment move-in expenses, to buy household appliances, and to pay other initial expenses. If you wish to work part-time as a student, you will be required to first apply for and receive permission to engage in activity other than that permitted under the Status of Residence previously granted at an Immigration Bureau office.